Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down the rabbit hole of fine audio
09-15-2014, 02:15 PM,
Information  Down the rabbit hole of fine audio
Hi,
this is Kavera from Bangalore. Read on...
Hearing it Right
Been quite picky of hearing music 'right'. Tweaking VLC EQ on the laptop went only so far. A pair of Studio monitors were the only option in sight, with the added inconvenience of waiting for everyone to leave home, before cranking up. This outright self-serving idea was dropped. So, it would be a pair of cans + portable player that can carry files.

Cans need amping
What?, but its all over the web.
Reviews leaned towards Sansa + FiiO Amp - but then two devices, two batteries to charge - didn't cut it. Devices should be powered up at will & running, not wait for a power source to charge up.
Option 2: Amp + android phone. again two devices, and the sdcard on the phone is a mess , not exclusively for storing music.
Edit: There are great budget IEMs that work well on android devices. But any excuse is fine to splurge on gizmos Smile .

Took the bait
a piece of advice came about from a gear snob - buy once, buy right - costs less.
[Perception of 'right' keeps varying; & wears out fast. Gear lust has no upper limitsSmile. Again, any reason is fine to splurge]
Let's cut to the chase - the FiiO X3 arrived from Mumbai, & was paired with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ω. Cant get to believe, but I indeed went by the words of strangers on the web.
X3 drives DT770 fairly well, at a volume level of 55/120 on the dial, high gain.
Battery lasts for 10 hrs. Note that , I listen at night when the ambient noise is low. Bangalore is otherwise noisy. Digressing : there is a constant buzz/hum in the air , otherwise known as noise pollution. One'o The reason we head to a national park/ uncrowded hill station is to appreciate what noise pollution is NOT

Budget IEMs in possession for Android phone: Philips SHE3590, Monoprice 9927.

Music is to wind down, & I have amateur interests in staying fit, some music theory, birdwatching - the feathered reptile ones. Time is at a premium to fit in everything, & life has to be just lived apart from these pursuits.

Playlist: wide genre of rock, well produced Indian cinema music, Ind rock

Cheers!
09-16-2014, 11:00 PM,
RE: Down the rabbit hole of fine audio
(09-15-2014, 02:15 PM)kavera Wrote: Hi,
this is Kavera from Bangalore. Read on...
Hearing it Right
Been quite picky of hearing music 'right'. Tweaking VLC EQ on the laptop went only so far. A pair of Studio monitors were the only option in sight, with the added inconvenience of waiting for everyone to leave home, before cranking up. This outright self-serving idea was dropped. So, it would be a pair of cans + portable player that can carry files.

Cans need amping
What?, but its all over the web.
Reviews leaned towards Sansa + FiiO Amp - but then two devices, two batteries to charge - didn't cut it. Devices should be powered up at will & running, not wait for a power source to charge up.
Option 2: Amp + android phone. again two devices, and the sdcard on the phone is a mess , not exclusively for storing music.
Edit: There are great budget IEMs that work well on android devices. But any excuse is fine to splurge on gizmos Smile .

Took the bait
a piece of advice came about from a gear snob - buy once, buy right - costs less.
[Perception of 'right' keeps varying; & wears out fast. Gear lust has no upper limitsSmile. Again, any reason is fine to splurge]
Let's cut to the chase - the FiiO X3 arrived from Mumbai, & was paired with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ω. Cant get to believe, but I indeed went by the words of strangers on the web.
X3 drives DT770 fairly well, at a volume level of 55/120 on the dial, high gain.
Battery lasts for 10 hrs. Note that , I listen at night when the ambient noise is low. Bangalore is otherwise noisy. Digressing : there is a constant buzz/hum in the air , otherwise known as noise pollution. One'o The reason we head to a national park/ uncrowded hill station is to appreciate what noise pollution is NOT

Budget IEMs in possession for Android phone: Philips SHE3590, Monoprice 9927.

Music is to wind down, & I have amateur interests in staying fit, some music theory, birdwatching - the feathered reptile ones. Time is at a premium to fit in everything, & life has to be just lived apart from these pursuits.

Playlist: wide genre of rock, well produced Indian cinema music, Ind rock

Cheers!

Hi Kevera! Welcome to Pristine Note forum. 770 250 Ohms are little rare, I wonder how did you get them :p. I have just got an X5 in hand, but have not got time to listen to them. We once had 2 BT 770 250 Ohms at store.... sadly miss them now.
I am happy that you liked the X3 .... thanks for your small review. What kind of music do you listen to ?
Hello Dolly! Heart
09-19-2014, 10:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM by kavera.)
Thanks for the welcome Smile

I mostly listen to wide genre of rock, well produced Indian cinema music, Ind rock. I'm tyring to lay my hands on lossless blues recordings.

Had a friend bring The DT770 from U.K . GBP exchange rate hurts the wallet.
09-28-2014, 04:58 PM,
(09-19-2014, 10:24 AM)kavera Wrote: Thanks for the welcome Smile

I mostly listen to wide genre of rock, well produced Indian cinema music, Ind rock. I'm tyring to lay my hands on lossless blues recordings.

Had a friend bring The DT770 from U.K . GBP exchange rate hurts the wallet.

We once had the DT770 in stock, it was very attractively priced. UK and Europe are not the best place to shop electronics.
Hello Dolly! Heart
03-05-2019, 03:12 PM,
Your post is really very fantastic.