Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burning in the Audio Technica ATH M50X's
06-04-2014, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM by alwayspete.)
Wink  Burning in the Audio Technica ATH M50X's
Hi,

I did read the previous topic about headphone burn ins. I'd like to know more. Specifically for the Heart Audio Technica ATH M50X's. Details like ...

How to burn in?

How many hours of burn in will be good for these?

How does burn in change the way my headphone speakers sound / drivers act?

Can the various noises like pink noise, brown noise, white noise used for a better break in or the same results can be achieved with a 320 kbps song? Is there a difference?

If there is how to appropriately use the various noises?

A while ago I've heard / read some where that breaking in using pink noise brings the mids up and brighter. I don't know if this is true though.

So yeah please let me know. Thanks.

Pete Smile
06-04-2014, 02:33 PM,
RE: Burning in the Audio Technica ATH M50X's
(06-04-2014, 07:31 AM)alwayspete Wrote: Hi,

I did read the previous topic about headphone burn ins. I'd like to know more. Specifically for the Heart Audio Technica ATH M50X's. Details like ...

How to burn in?

How many hours of burn in will be good for these?

How does burn in change the way my headphone speakers sound / drivers act?

Can the various noises like pink noise, brown noise, white noise used for a better break in or the same results can be achieved with a 320 kbps song? Is there a difference?

If there is how to appropriately use the various noises?

A while ago I've heard / read some where that breaking in using pink noise brings the mids up and brighter. I don't know if this is true though.

So yeah please let me know. Thanks.

Pete Smile

Hi Pete. Since Burn in is not exactly a science there are lot of talks on the same. You may use Pink or white noise at a moderate SPL in a loop. You may also use any nicely recorded music that has full spectrum. Keep the volume level within manufacturers limit.
Hello Dolly! Heart
06-04-2014, 10:24 PM,
Quote:Hi Pete. Since Burn in is not exactly a science there are lot of talks on the same. You may use Pink or white noise at a moderate SPL in a loop. You may also use any nicely recorded music that has full spectrum. Keep the volume level within manufacturers limit.

Thanks for responding to my post.

What do you mean by moderate SPL? I didn't understand.

Can you give me an example for a nicely recorded music that has full spectrum?

What do you mean by keeping the volume level within manufacturers limit?

How many hours of burn in is appropriate with any sound file?

What's the actual difference between pink and white noise? (In simple words please)

Thanks.

Pete Smile
06-05-2014, 12:07 AM,
(06-04-2014, 10:24 PM)alwayspete Wrote:
Quote:Hi Pete. Since Burn in is not exactly a science there are lot of talks on the same. You may use Pink or white noise at a moderate SPL in a loop. You may also use any nicely recorded music that has full spectrum. Keep the volume level within manufacturers limit.

Thanks for responding to my post.

What do you mean by moderate SPL? I didn't understand.

Can you give me an example for a nicely recorded music that has full spectrum?

What do you mean by keeping the volume level within manufacturers limit?

How many hours of burn in is appropriate with any sound file?

What's the actual difference between pink and white noise? (In simple words please)

Thanks.

Pete Smile
SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level. In this case, what i meant is .... dont crank up the volume so high that you burn out the drivers. Volume level within manufactures limit means .... the max Voltage your drivers can handle.
Pink noise has reciprocal inverse ratio of frequency to Amplitude. That in simple term means ... as the frequency gets higher the volume gets lower.
White noise on the other hand means... random generated noise. I am sure you will find more info on the same in wiki.

AR Rehman has full spectrum recording. I like Ray Charles - Genius needs company .... of course I there are 100s of good records....

If you are getting confused about burnin. Just play some AR Rehman songs in your Portable Player for about 20 hours or so.... that should suffice.... I am saying this because I am getting a feeling that you are a little nervous about burnin.
Hello Dolly! Heart
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM by alwayspete.)
Quote:SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level. In this case, what i meant is .... dont crank up the volume so high that you burn out the drivers. Volume level within manufactures limit means .... the max Voltage your drivers can handle.
Pink noise has reciprocal inverse ratio of frequency to Amplitude. That in simple term means ... as the frequency gets higher the volume gets lower.
White noise on the other hand means... random generated noise. I am sure you will find more info on the same in wiki.

AR Rehman has full spectrum recording. I like Ray Charles - Genius needs company .... of course I there are 100s of good records....

If you are getting confused about burnin. Just play some AR Rehman songs in your Portable Player for about 20 hours or so.... that should suffice.... I am saying this because I am getting a feeling that you are a little nervous about burnin.

Thanks for your replying so fast. Not nervous but under informed. I need to know what exactly to do for an effective burn-in.

What do you mean by moderate volume? Can you please put it in percentage? Like is it 40% or 50% volume?

Will 20 hours of continuous playback cause a negative effect, maybe a burn out? Shouldn't I give breaks in between?

""Keep the volume level within manufacturer's limit."" Again is this what you earlier mentioned as moderate volume? I don't use an amp or anything likewise. Just the basic volume controls from the source. Will my headphones be negatively effected if I push up the volume to 70% or 85% after the break in process/period?

Please let me know all of the above. Thanks as always.

Pete Smile
06-09-2014, 02:19 AM,
(06-05-2014, 11:40 AM)alwayspete Wrote:
Quote:SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level. In this case, what i meant is .... dont crank up the volume so high that you burn out the drivers. Volume level within manufactures limit means .... the max Voltage your drivers can handle.

Thanks for your replying so fast. Not nervous but under informed. I need to know what exactly to do for an effective burn-in.

What do you mean by moderate volume? Can you please put it in percentage? Like is it 40% or 50% volume?

Will 20 hours of continuous playback cause a negative effect, maybe a burn out? Shouldn't I give breaks in between?

""Keep the volume level within manufacturer's limit."" Again is this what you earlier mentioned as moderate volume? I don't use an amp or anything likewise. Just the basic volume controls from the source. Will my headphones be negatively effected if I push up the volume to 70% or 85% after the break in process/period?

Pete Smile

What is your source of Amp?
Hello Dolly! Heart
06-09-2014, 06:11 AM,
(06-09-2014, 02:19 AM)admin Wrote:

Pete Smile

No additional amp. It's just my cell phone or very basic computer without a dedicated sound card. I may get a portable amp in the future.

Pete Smile
06-12-2014, 11:05 PM,
(06-09-2014, 06:11 AM)alwayspete Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 02:19 AM)admin Wrote:

Pete Smile

No additional amp. It's just my cell phone or very basic computer without a dedicated sound card. I may get a portable amp in the future.

Pete Smile

There should not be any problem Smile
Hello Dolly! Heart
06-24-2014, 08:19 PM,
I have almost completed 30hours of burn in and theres no diff in sound. The only issue i have is the treble, its too harsh for my taste. I thought an EQ might do the trick, but that doesnt seem to help. Have to keep changing it for every song. Will an amp do me any favor?hows fiio e6? or Do i complete 100hrs of burn in?
I think an amp should do the trick.
06-25-2014, 11:42 AM,
(06-24-2014, 08:19 PM)nnair Wrote: I have almost completed 30hours of burn in and theres no diff in sound. The only issue i have is the treble, its too harsh for my taste. I thought an EQ might do the trick, but that doesnt seem to help. Have to keep changing it for every song. Will an amp do me any favor?hows fiio e6? or Do i complete 100hrs of burn in?
I think an amp should do the trick.

Try some brown noise. That might soothe down the treble a bit. Which headphones do you use? Some headphones require 200-500 hrs of burn in. I'm not sure of that and I know it sounds ridiculous. But that's what I've read on the internet several places. I used orchestral music to perform my burn ins. Orchestral music must cover the whole spectrum nicely. You can try that as well. I found out that built in EQs on your phone or music player do not bring an appealing difference to the way your music sounds. Plus it's an itch to change the EQ settings for every song. Maybe a FiiO E6 might make a difference. I don't use an amp. So I can't give you a personal opinion. I'd say do some research on the internet before spending money on portable amps. You may not require them after you've done a proper burn in. Again your headphones, source device and music file bit-rate all adds to the equation for a good sound experience. Hope I've been of minor help.

Pete Smile