Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Technica ATH-T500 vs AD500 vs AD700
09-06-2012, 12:54 PM,
Audio Technica ATH-T500 vs AD500 vs AD700
Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing Audio Technica headphones, and I've narrowed my list down to three models: T500, AD500 & AD700 (originally the first two, but due to the damnable internet, I had to include the third as well )

Usage will be 80% music / 20% movies/games.

I'm not a basshead, but a decent amount bass would be welcome.

Since I'm unable to test these in person, I have a few questions for you regarding:

Comfort:
I've tried on the Bose AE2, AKG-K512 and the ATH-M50. The AE2s were by far the most comfortable of the lot, fitting completely around my ears. The K512s and the M50s were similar in what they covered, but the former exerted far less pressure due to their lighter weight. Also, the M50s caused me to sweat quite bit after 30-45 mins of usage.

1. How would you rank the AD700, AD500 and T500 in comparison to the three I've listed above.
2. Are the AD700s earpieces any larger than the AD500?

Isolation:
How good are each of these at isolating sound? Obviously, the T500 would, courtesy of being closed-back, have lesser leakage than the other two open-backs. Internet reviews are also mixed regarding the degree of leakage from the AD700. Some say low, others report higher leakage. Quite confounding. Can't find too many reviews about the T500 or AD500 anyway.

My requirements are that people >3 feet away can't hear what I'm listening to.

Build-quality and Flex:
Any major differences in build quality between the three? I would like headphones that are reasonably sturdy. For e.g. the M50s, IMO, are way too fiddly. Also, takes me a while to figure out which way is up, so to speak . Are any of the three similar in that way?

Cable Thickness:
How thick are the cables on each? To me, thicker cable equates better strength, thus, harder to accidentally rip/tear off.

A few more questions:

1. Does the AD700 only come in that one god-awful colour? All the online reviews have the same colour-model.
2. Is your payment gateway running yet? I would like to pay by credit card.
3. Checked both the sites - PristineNote and ProAudioHome, the prices seem to be significantly lower on the latter. I'm assuming it's not been updated yet, as items there are out of stock?
4. Do you plan to bring in Shure or KRK hardware anytime soon? The Shure 440 and KRK KNS-8400 were recommended as an alternative to the AD700, and are about the same price too.

Thanks,
Maestro
09-08-2012, 10:25 AM,
RE: Audio Technica ATH-T500 vs AD500 vs AD700
Welcome to Pristine Note Forum. You may include one more contender to the list M35.

Comfort: As far as your observation on comfort level goes you are correct, M50s are not very comfortable as they apply a clamping force on the ears. These have an added advantage, their noise isolation is superior to most of the earphones in its category. (You gain some, loose some).
AD-700 would rank amongst most comfortable earphones, so if we were to make an comparison keep that in mind. Low comfort against AD700 doesnt mean that they are uncomfortable.

Comfort level: AD700 >> AD500 >> M35 >> T500

AD700s are larger than AD500s.

Open Cans Vs Closed Cans.
You should not compare open cans vs closed cans in terms of ambient noise isolation. That is because both of them work differently.

In terms of sound isolation
M35 > T500 (both closed cans) >> AD500>AD700 (both open cans).
We would not recommend open cans in noisy environment. However they would make a great companion in your study or music room.

3 ft (from you) noise isolation depends upon how loud you keep your headphones on and if you are wearing them or not.

Build-quality and Flex:
All headphone we mention have nice build quality for its price.

AD 700 Magnesium Alloy
AD500 Aluminum Alloy
T500 Aluminum Cans
M35 Plastic

AD700 and AD500 are easy to wear over the head. T500 and M35 would come next.

Your observation about M50 is quite funny. They are build like that so that they can be carried in suitcase and can be folded face-down. It is not a bad feature (it is quite a premium headphone).

Cable Thickness: I am really surprised that you think thick cables are stronger than thin ones? That could be provided they are made of same material with same design. I hope that you are not asking me the the Cu/Ag thickness. (I have no information on these). If you mean to ask regarding the longevity of cables

AD700>AD500>M35>T500

Our PG is working. As on date the (8 Sep 12) the credit card will be added by next week.

You would not go wrong with Audio Technica. We do not stock as of now the Shure 440 or KNS. You may like to keep in mind that Shure is an American Brand, AT is Japanese. (Reviews are also based upon availability).

Our Verdict:
Going by the questions you have posed I am a bit petrified. None of the questions that you asked were related to sound of the headphones, as you have not auditioned any of these. While you have mentioned that you are looking for 80 percent of music, you have made a constrain on 3ft sound isolation for others Sad . (I would like to have it other way around unless it was in my bedroom and my spouse objected to my listening to music).

We would like to rate them finally as:
Fun Sounding: M35
Musically : AD700

a special mention about AD700, owing to their design they do have very wide soundstage that we have not come across any headphone. AD500 would be second in the order followed by M35 and T500.

All of these are exceptionally good at their price point. You could not go wrong with any one of them. All of these headphones are musical. What do you intend to pair them also would dictate your choice of headphones.
Hello Dolly! Heart
09-20-2012, 01:35 PM,
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I had intended to reply sooner, but work got in the way.

(09-08-2012, 10:25 AM)admin Wrote: Our Verdict:
Going by the questions you have posed I am a bit petrified. None of the questions that you asked were related to sound of the headphones, as you have not auditioned any of these.

TBH, before I contacted you, I pored over reviews and comments over at Head-FI, Audiokarma etc, for more than a week. I found, IMO, enough information about the 'sound' of these headphones to satisfy me and narrow down my list (taking into account local availability). Hence, the lack of any questions related to sound quality in my initial post.

However, it was (understandably) impossible to find anyone who had experience with or owned all of the headphones on my list, and could answer my questions regarding the differences between these models. Since you stock all of these models, you were the best bet Smile.

(09-08-2012, 10:25 AM)admin Wrote: Our Verdict:
You may include one more contender to the list M35.

Well. I didn't include the M35 in my list because:
1. I was looking for a quick purchase
2. Your site lists them as out of stock

Some more information about my listening habits and usage:

I mostly listen to (Classic) rock and film scores, with a little bit of jazz, classical and funk occasionally.

Initially, I would be driving them off my laptop, and maybe my PC. However, I will be testing them out on a portable amp as well, and depending on the result, I might purchase a FiiO E6 amp later on.

(09-08-2012, 10:25 AM)admin Wrote: While you have mentioned that you are looking for 80 percent of music, you have made a constrain on 3ft sound isolation for others Sad . (I would like to have it other way around unless it was in my bedroom and my spouse objected to my listening to music).

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what you mean here. I understand that the AD series, being open headphones, will allow others to hear what I am listening to (depending on volume and proximity). Since I plan to use these in the office, and distance between cubicles is usually 3-4 ft, hence the 3ft isolation.

(09-08-2012, 10:25 AM)admin Wrote: M35 > T500 (both closed cans) >> AD500>AD700 (both open cans).
We would not recommend open cans in noisy environment. However they would make a great companion in your study or music room.

When it came down to narrowing down the list, it was a matter of greater soundstage and less isolation/leakage versus smaller soundsatge and greater isolation/leakage. I can accept a lesser degree of isolation, hence why I even included the open-back headphones.

I probably come across as very confused. I apologise for this. Ideally, I would have preferred a pair of headphones that are portable and closed like the M35, and with soundstage like the AD700/500. Given the options available, having all of the three in one package is not possible Sad.

It's also very irritating that there isn't a place in Pune where I can audition each pair. A trip to Navi Mumbai does not look to be on the cards in the near future, or this entire discussion would have been moot.
09-23-2012, 12:04 AM,
Well I could finally recommend that you go for AD500, it has a bit of everything that you are looking for. Tongue . I hope this helps.
Hello Dolly! Heart