Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Recommendation Required] Budget - 3 to 3.5k
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM,
Information  [Recommendation Required] Budget - 3 to 3.5k
Hello everyone,

My Sennheiser HD 180 (the very first headphone I bought) has finally come to an end. I still remember the date of purchase: 4th Jan, 2011 - that's 3 years! They still rock, but mostly on the 'right ear'. With a bit of twisting and turning I am sometimes able to get sound on both the channels. So I thought it's time for some new headphones. Big Grin

As I posted on my introduction I am an audio newbie, but I do use standard products - just a pair of headphones won't do. This search for quality led me to this forum! Tongue

I decided on the following products:
  • Audio Technica ATH-SJ55 BK
  • Logitech UE 3600
  • Sennheiser HD 205 II

My budget: 3,000 to 3,500 INR (Something within 3k would be perfect, though)

My musical taste: Variable. From heavy metal, solo piano, classical, electornica, pop and alternative rock.
I've listed my most go-to artists in my introduction.

Some other information:
I must admit, I was a bit reluctant on the Audio Technica pair, primarily because they do not have any service center in Kolkata. I tried Googling, without any success. However, these headphone have a great reputation online.

Therefore, should I or should I not go for the AT SJ-55? If you have any headphones you'd like to recommend - I look forward to your input!

Thanks,
Sourav
01-04-2014, 03:17 PM,
RE: [Recommendation Required] Budget - 3 to 3.5k
The SJ-55 are pretty good . If you need something similar to your HD 201 but with more clarity and detailing , consider the Audio Technica ATH-T500 or T-400 . T-500 would be above your budget. T-400 very close by .

Also do keep in mind , most good headphones perform a lot better with a DAC / Sound card compared to onboard audio of PC , laptop. Do invest in a good DAC or a basic sound card like Xonar DG depending on your usage to compliment the mid-range headphones.