Forum Pristine Note

Full Version: Do you need an headphone amp??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there. As the title suggests, does one really need an headphone amp? Does having an amp change anything, in regards to sound stage, bass response or is it just a volume boost? I'm using the ath-m50x with htc one. Initially the highs were too bright, now after completing nearly 400 hrs, its toned down a lot.. Its pretty easy to drive the cans but i somehow feel like im missing out something. I feel the cans are not being used to its full potential. I've been through million forums, threads, posts, reviews but i find myself sinking more into confusion. I've tried a few media players but didn't help, find it useless tweaking through a software. Should i buy an amp?? will that help? Any suggestions on amp? I'm considering fiio e11-k2, but as i've read, these don't help much. Anyone using ath-m50 here?
(11-13-2014, 12:48 PM)nnair Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there. As the title suggests, does one really need an headphone amp? Does having an amp change anything, in regards to sound stage, bass response or is it just a volume boost? I'm using the ath-m50x with htc one. Initially the highs were too bright, now after completing nearly 400 hrs, its toned down a lot.. Its pretty easy to drive the cans but i somehow feel like im missing out something. I feel the cans are not being used to its full potential. I've been through million forums, threads, posts, reviews but i find myself sinking more into confusion. I've tried a few media players but didn't help, find it useless tweaking through a software. Should i buy an amp?? will that help? Any suggestions on amp? I'm considering fiio e11-k2, but as i've read, these don't help much. Anyone using ath-m50 here?

Hi! Welcome to Pristine Note Forums!!! Congrats on M50x, I was quite fond of M50, however could never audition the 50x. Most of my M50 has been spent on Sansa+ and Clip. M50 are not high impedance earphones, with fairly decent sensitivity. The sound is fairly well balanced and are not very power hungry.
Now coming to your question.... Do you need a headphone amp? Well my answer is if you are planning to spend some long and serious time with audio, yes you should. Most of the amp will help you sort out two issues one the resistance and second volume, with your cans being well driven in low end.
I usually used to recommend Amp for desktop listening, however these days portable music has become very personal and high end.
I've been facing the same issue. Can't decide whether to spend money on buying an headphone amp. No one among the people I know own one (heck, no one is even a bit close to being an audiophile). People laugh at me when I spend money on some good quality earphones and stuff xD

Anyway, I don't mind spending some money (under 5k for now) on an entry level headphone amp. All I do want is to have a demo before I decide. Currently I use
- Sony XB90EX
- Sennheiser CX300 II
- Klipsch Reference S4
- Sony XB400

with my android smartphone being the source. I've even dropped a message a while ago to Pro audio on ebay. I'm living in Navi Mumbai (Airoli). Let me know if this is possible.
(11-19-2014, 05:47 PM)EISENbricher Wrote: [ -> ]I've been facing the same issue. Can't decide whether to spend money on buying an headphone amp. No one among the people I know own one (heck, no one is even a bit close to being an audiophile). People laugh at me when I spend money on some good quality earphones and stuff xD

Anyway, I don't mind spending some money (under 5k for now) on an entry level headphone amp. All I do want is to have a demo before I decide. Currently I use
- Sony XB90EX
- Sennheiser CX300 II
- Klipsch Reference S4
- Sony XB400

with my android smartphone being the source. I've even dropped a message a while ago to Pro audio on ebay. I'm living in Navi Mumbai (Airoli). Let me know if this is possible.

You may get your cans and we will help you with DEMO
(12-03-2014, 01:11 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2014, 05:47 PM)EISENbricher Wrote: [ -> ]I've been facing the same issue. Can't decide whether to spend money on buying an headphone amp. No one among the people I know own one (heck, no one is even a bit close to being an audiophile). People laugh at me when I spend money on some good quality earphones and stuff xD

- Sony XB90EX
- Sennheiser CX300 II
- Klipsch Reference S4
- Sony XB400

How about changing the source? like, instead of using a phone why not get a dedicated music player.. like the fiio x1..I'll get a player as well, plus it has inbuilt DAC and AMP... Is x1 a good buy or go for E11 K2??
(12-22-2014, 12:29 PM)nnair Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2014, 01:11 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]

- Sony XB90EX
- Sennheiser CX300 II
- Klipsch Reference S4
- Sony XB400

How about changing the source? like, instead of using a phone why not get a dedicated music player.. like the fiio x1..I'll get a player as well, plus it has inbuilt DAC and AMP... Is x1 a good buy or go for E11 K2??

His budget is below 5K
Well, I ended up being a member on Head-Fi forums... spent so much time there seeking recommendations in past two months. Since then I've bought following, and I'm very happy with my purchases.

Topping NX1 amp
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore
TTPOD T1E
Havi B3 Pro 1
KZ EDSE
KZ ED8

Oh.. and about amping... yes I'd strongly recommend an amp even for an IEM. While some DAPs like Fiio X3 and X5 have inbuilt good amplification, people not having these should consider an Amp. For me my amp made a lot of difference.
(02-04-2015, 07:30 PM)EISENbricher Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I ended up being a member on Head-Fi forums... spent so much time there seeking recommendations in past two months. Since then I've bought following, and I'm very happy with my purchases.

Topping NX1 amp
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore
TTPOD T1E
Havi B3 Pro 1
KZ EDSE
KZ ED8

Oh.. and about amping... yes I'd strongly recommend an amp even for an IEM. While some DAPs like Fiio X3 and X5 have inbuilt good amplification, people not having these should consider an Amp. For me my amp made a lot of difference.

Hi EISENbricher.
You got some really good collections of IEM's.
Can you tell me where did you buy Zero Audio Carbo Tenore and Havi B3 Pro 1 from?. Also, ever tried Shure SE215?