Forum Pristine Note

Full Version: Burn in period and FLAC files!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyoneWink. Can anyone give me some insights on burn in period? does burning in makes any diff to sound quality? and what about FLAC files? any diff from 320kbps?
Confused is what i am right now regarding bothHuh
nobody knows?? admin??
(06-01-2014, 02:42 PM)nnair Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyoneWink. Can anyone give me some insights on burn in period? does burning in makes any diff to sound quality? and what about FLAC files? any diff from 320kbps?

Hi! I moved your post because, I just realised that we didnt have a section for questions like these. However I would try and answer them both in best of my knowledge and engineering stand point. Including some blind test we had conducted. However bear in mind that during our trials we didnt have such high end DACs that we have today. (The tests were conducted in SACD/CD/MP3 category). The setup we used were High End (Top End of a Famous Brand) SACD player. High end sound card available in 2010(most talked about Sound Card). The tracks played on 4 Way- Custom Speakers (FS) with about 8 people in the demo room. We didnt use Any Pre Amp in our setup, to preserve the Fidelity.

We had used:
Poorly recorded/Mastered Music Albums
Good SACD/CD (The list is long... we finally focused on one Album Ray Charles - Genius Needs Company!).
Good MP3 Tracks
MP3 - Album same as above with bit rates from 64 to 320 Kbps (No other format was used).

Most of the Audience thought Poorly recorded/Mastered Albums were low bitrates mp3!
Most of us could not differentiate the 320 over CD (WAV files).
They could all tell SACD was different because it was being played from different setup.

I have felt, that for average age group of 20 to30 Years, none could differentiate 320 vs CD (WAV) files in audio category. The results could be different if the age group is changed or the audio played is not music!
However, remember the above result could vary as we had both hardware and human limitations.

Why would I use FLAC? Because I could restore them to original CD.

Burn-in Period: Depends upon the product you use and amount you play in given time. In dynamic speakers, I have found that the sound getting settled by about month and half (I used to play them about 1 to 2 hours per day). Some product dont need prolong burn in.
(06-03-2014, 10:43 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2014, 02:42 PM)nnair Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyoneWink. Can anyone give me some insights on burn in period? does burning in makes any diff to sound quality? and what about FLAC files? any diff from 320kbps?

Hi! I moved your post because, I just realised that we didnt have a section for questions like these. However I would try and answer them both in best of my knowledge and engineering stand point. Including some blind test we had conducted. However bear in mind that during our trials we didnt have such high end DACs that we have today. (The tests were conducted in SACD/CD/MP3 category). The setup we used were High End (Top End of a Famous Brand) SACD player. High end sound card available in 2010(most talked about Sound Card). The tracks played on 4 Way- Custom Speakers (FS) with about 8 people in the demo room. We didnt use Any Pre Amp in our setup, to preserve the Fidelity.

We had used:
Good SACD/CD (The list is long... we finally focused on one Album Ray Charles - Genius Needs Company!).
Good MP3 Tracks
MP3 - Album same as above with bit rates from 64 to 320 Kbps (No other format was used).

Most of the Audience thought Poorly recorded/Mastered Albums were low bitrates mp3!
They could all tell SACD was different because it was being played from different setup.

I have felt, that for average age group of 20 to30 Years, none could differentiate 320 vs CD (WAV) files in audio category. The results could be different if the age group is changed or the audio played is not music!
However, remember the above result could vary as we had both hardware and human limitations.

Burn-in Period: Depends upon the product you use and amount you play in given. In dynamic speakers, I have found that the sound getting settled by about month and half (I used to play them about 1 to 2 hours per day). Some product dont need prolong burn in.
Thanks a lot for the reply admin and creating a new section.
I tested a few songs, there's hardly any difference between a 320 and a WAV file. I couldn't tell the diff either. Frequency of Hearing range differs in age.
Im still not sure about the burn in period though. Do monitoring cans need burn in? ath m50 for instance. I read somewhere on sonicsense.com and Innerfidelity's reviews that after 100hrs of burn in period, frequency response changed. I'm still sceptical.
(06-03-2014, 01:48 PM)nnair Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2014, 10:43 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]

We had used:
Good MP3 Tracks

Burn-in Period: Depends upon the product you use and amount you play in given. In dynamic speakers, I have found that the sound getting settled by about month and half (I used to play them about 1 to 2 hours per day). Some product dont need prolong burn in.
Thanks a lot for the reply admin and creating a new section.
I tested a few songs, there's hardly any difference between a 320 and a WAV file. I couldn't tell the diff either. Frequency of Hearing range differs in age.
Im still not sure about the burn in period though. Do monitoring cans need burn in? ath m50 for instance. I read somewhere on sonicsense.com and Innerfidelity's reviews that after 100hrs of burn in period, frequency response changed. I'm still sceptical.

Sceptical about what? Its a a process all dynamic drivers go through.