Forum Pristine Note

Full Version: Technics repair center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have an old Technics system - turntable, cassette player radio, amplifier and two bookshelf speakers (I currently do not have the model number, but I can get it soon enough) . One of the speakers is not working well, the sound distorts at the lowest volume as well

As there are no official Technics repair centers in India, at least I could not find one on the net, I was hoping if I could get any leads here. Even if there is a place which specializes in repairing old audio equipment, I would be really grateful.

The speakers are located in Kolkata, West Bengal, and I am willing to courier it to any part of the country where they can be serviced.

Hoping to get some help here Smile

Thanks!
(02-08-2014, 04:59 PM)kinshuk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I have an old Technics system - turntable, cassette player radio, amplifier and two bookshelf speakers (I currently do not have the model number, but I can get it soon enough) . One of the speakers is not working well, the sound distorts at the lowest volume as well

As there are no official Technics repair centers in India, at least I could not find one on the net, I was hoping if I could get any leads here. Even if there is a place which specializes in repairing old audio equipment, I would be really grateful.

The speakers are located in Kolkata, West Bengal, and I am willing to courier it to any part of the country where they can be serviced.

Hoping to get some help here Smile

Thanks!

Hi Kinshuk welcome to Pristine Note Forums. I used to be in your shoes about 10 years back. However most of the places involved in repairs of Vintage Audio Players have dwindled down over the years. You may also need cartridges for your turntable MM/MC have those specifications in hand. I will give you some leads.

Behind Esplanade and close to Chandni Market (The Electronics Market) in Kolkata you will find some vintage tube retailers. Turntables are fairly easy to repair, as far your speakers are concerned it seems to me that your speakers diaphragms have got damaged. There are repair shops which do rewiring and restoring of speakers in the same market. You will also find some sellers of Vinyl records close to new market.

All the best. It will take you some serious hunting, but will be be all worth as I know those shops do exist!
Hi!
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, much appreciated.

Just wanted to add that the entire system is in pretty good shape. The amp and turntable work just fine. It is only one speaker which is damaged.
I managed to get it checked from someone who works in a high-end store but doesnt have the time or resources to repair the speaker himself.
I was told that the crossover inside the speakers are not functioning correctly. Had the drivers been damaged, they could have been replaced but the crossover needs a more precise look. That is when i tried looking for an authorized Technics repair center, but I found that Technics has been acquired by Panasonic and they dont do any kind of service specifically for audio systems.

If you could guide me with somebody who is good at repairing bookshelf speakers, I think my problem will be resolved Smile

Thank you
Normans Electronics
3653 Clairmond Rd
Atlanta Ga. 330341
(02-08-2014, 10:29 PM)kinshuk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, much appreciated.

Just wanted to add that the entire system is in pretty good shape. The amp and turntable work just fine. It is only one speaker which is damaged.
I managed to get it checked from someone who works in a high-end store but doesnt have the time or resources to repair the speaker himself.
I was told that the crossover inside the speakers are not functioning correctly. Had the drivers been damaged, they could have been replaced but the crossover needs a more precise look. That is when i tried looking for an authorized Technics repair center, but I found that Technics has been acquired by Panasonic and they dont do any kind of service specifically for audio systems.

If you could guide me with somebody who is good at repairing bookshelf speakers, I think my problem will be resolved Smile

Thank you

You alone can now come to rescue. Like Speakers Crossovers can also be easily repaired. The problem could be in getting a matching pair of Caps. But it is not difficult. Do you have basic physics background ... you should be able to do it yourself.
Hi!

Im sorry for the late reply, I did not get any mail update from the forum.

Yes I do have a knowledge of basic physics. It would be great if you could tell me how to go about this.
These are a great pair of speakers and it is a shame that they are just lying around, I really want to have them up and playing!

Thanks a lot!
(06-08-2014, 09:06 PM)kinshuk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

Im sorry for the late reply, I did not get any mail update from the forum.

Yes I do have a knowledge of basic physics. It would be great if you could tell me how to go about this.
These are a great pair of speakers and it is a shame that they are just lying around, I really want to have them up and playing!

Thanks a lot!

There are not very many components in a passive speaker that can go wrong. You may follow from DIY forum. Isolate the faulty product and replace it!